My Client wants details. The rug, the chair print, the couch print, the woodwork, the Christmas tree decorations. Yet my concern will be the atmosphere of lit candles and fire in the fireplace. I’m excited about the challenge.
Details in, floor boards, brickwork, etc. It’s time to wet the paint brushes!
I blocked in the first layers of areas that will have multiple layers. The windows will have darkness, then the Christmas lights shining through the lace and finally the lace curtains. I wait for each layer to get a skin on it (usually over night) before I put the next layer on. I want to keep the distance in both those layers of outside showing through the lace curtain, so I don’t want a lot of paint to mess with the texture of the curtains. I also played with some paint colors for the walls and shadows – the atmosphere. For the candlelight, I used Naples Yellow and for the room darkening – Payne’s Gray. The original wall is peach – Alizarin Crimson and Cadmium yellow orange with white. The original ceiling color is white – So I used Naples Yellow and Payne’s Gray. I am happy with the first layers.
When subjects are very detailed, I like to use direct painting wherever I can. I drew them accurately in the beginning, so I like to use those guides. It saves me time in the end when things are put in correctly the first time (old Marine Corps habit). So I will spend the next few days painting the fireplace correctly while I place my layers in as I can.
I was hoping to get the entire fireplace painted today. Might not happen since my eyes are tired. Maybe tomorrow. Then off to the challenge of the lace curtains after I put my Christmas lights in the darkness of the night.
Worked all day to mix the right colors for the curtains and then layering in the folds & lace. Feeling okay about it for now. So I started mixing colors for the floor before I started the next window challenge. I hope to finish the windows tonight but sometimes I dream big :-)!
A few days away from the studio – I’m attacking the tree next, then the table and my another nemesis the rug! Never thought I’d say it but, … “there might be too much detail in this painting!” Just kidding, my friends, just kidding!
Spent the morning working on the candlelight/fireplace atmosphere. I’ve darkened the value of the walls multiple times with the initial peach (alizarin crimson & cadmium orange with white) color with payne’s gray and burnt umber. The curtains white in daylight, now have a thin glaze (medium & paint) on them of the new wall color. Unfortunately the photograph isn’t helping me describe what I’m attempting to show because it defined the shadowed areas much more than is in the painting, changed the colors of the wall and curtains to lighter than they are and the colors aren’t true. I guess I’ll have to wait until Osio Brown does their magic and professionally scans the painting for me to show the true effect. However, these values of the colors fit the atmosphere much more accurately.
I’ve laid a base of paint down for the rug and let it sit over night.
I have to finish the highlights on the Christmas tree lights and make the glow effect on them and the floor. A couple of days of making sure it’s what I want and I’ve reached the finish line!
Come sit in the beautiful living room and enjoy the festive beauty!
A few revisions to the chair and a pair of glasses next to the couch and the room is complete! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!